Frequently Asked Questions
Allergens are a big concern for parents and known allergens are always changing. Our formulas were already free of known allergens, but we pushed further in choosing to keep potential and an expanding list of allergens out of our formulas.
If you notice an issue with your baby’s skin, you may call our Customer Care line at 1-866-565-2229. Otherwise, if symptoms persist, a consultation with your healthcare provider is advised.
*identified by the Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety of the European Commission (2012).Back to top
For nearly 125 years our formulas have been specially designed for baby's unique and delicate skin, but our products are also great for kids and adults too! While we recommend a specific age/stage for certain products, any age can enjoy the benefits of our products.Back to top
Our No More Tears® formula turned shampooing from a job into a joy and transformed bath time into playtime. It tells moms and dads that the product is gentle, safe, and mild for their babies’ developing skin and eyes.
No More Tears® products have been rigorously and comprehensively evaluated for safety and mildness including:
- Ingredient and formulation review
- Clinical assessment for ocular irritation
- Clinical review of all data
We do not use numbing agents in any of our products. No More Tears® products are specially formulated to control the size of the cleansing ingredients. When formulated correctly, the cleansers form a structure too large to penetrate skin or eyes. A simple concept that requires a combination of expertise and the best ingredients to get just right.Back to top
Preservatives are an essential part of baby and beauty personal care products. Without them, everyday products you’ve come to rely on could expire within weeks or even days. The main reason we include preservatives in some of our products is to ensure their safety and shelf-life. In addition, they protect against potentially harmful bacteria, mold, and fungus.
We work with leading professionals from industry, government, academia and consumer groups to research and ensure the use of a safe and sustainable preservative palette.Back to top
The power of fragrance is real – fragrance can enhance the bond between a parent and their baby and support the development of baby's senses. Studies have found that use of products with fragrance can reduce infant stress, crying and enhance sleep, as well as enhance engagement between a mother and baby.
Fragrances are neither more nor less safe than other ingredients. Each molecule of a fragrance still needs to be individually assessed for safety. As part of our Safety and Care Commitment, fragrances, like all other ingredients in our products, are evaluated through our five-step safety assurance process to ensure high quality, and gentle ingredients make it into our products.
Johnson's® fragrances are stringently tested and safe and follow the strict standards of the International Fragrance Association (IFRA) IFRA, so that parents can feel confident about the ingredients on our label. Industry-certified experts assess our ingredients to ensure they meet our standards, and our scientific experts test our formulas to ensure they are safe for use. Only 25% of the typical toolbox of fragrance ingredients meet our safety standards and are suitable for our gentle baby products.Back to top
We recommend replacing products annually to make sure you're getting the best experience. But a good rule of thumb is that products without expiration dates (like cosmetics) are stable for 3 years from the time of manufacture, as long as they are stored at room temperature. You can find the manufacture date by the product lot number, located on the back, side or bottom of the product or embossed on the crimped end of the tube. It'll say LOT, followed by four numbers and then a letter (like LOT 0913L). The manufacture is the fourth digit. (So Lot 0913L was made in 2013, and is therefore good until 2016.) If you are interested in determining the exact age of a specific product, give us a call with the lot number and we will help you out.Back to top
We do NOT conduct animal testing on any of our cosmetic products except in the rare situation where governments or laws require it. We’ll never compromise on the quality or safety of the products we provide for you.Back to top
Babies’ development is influenced by the world they live and grow up in, so our formulas are carefully crafted to be gentle on the environment.
- We prioritize using ingredients that are not harmful to aquatic life and ecosystems.
- We use a patented system to help us formulate products that are non-toxic, biodegradable and don’t bioaccumulate in the environment.
- We moved to more efficient processes that we estimate will reduce water usage at our owned manufacturing sites by about 20%.
- We continue to push ourselves to improve our environmental stewardship, and meet ever-higher goals to be more gentle on the environment.
Our unwavering commitment to parents and babies is the foundation for everything we do. We are continually learning about babies’ specific skin care needs with over 90% of all industry led baby skin care research coming from us! Now we have combined our latest clinical research with our love for babies to raise the bar even higher and improve our products. Every JOHNSON'S® product is designed to meet or exceed the top internationally recognized regulatory standards.
We collaborated with over 25,000 parents to help shape and refine our products, and packaging design for the NEW Johnson’s®. We used their feedback to create even gentler products that help parents bond with their baby during those special moments– from bathtime fun to bedtime snuggles. Because it’s not only about the science; we also care about what you think. Finally, parents told us 'less is more’, so we challenged ourselves to be even more choiceful and carefully evaluated each ingredient in our beloved formulas– nothing was sacred!Back to top
We have improved inside and out!
- We reduced our ingredient list by 50% across our portfolio.
- We now use more naturally-derived oils, like soybean, coconut, or cottonseed, in conditioners and moisturizers
- We also now use more ingredients of natural origin without compromising on ingredients that make our products safe and gentle for your baby
- While our products have been free from parabens, phthalates, 1,4 dioxane and formaldehyde-releasing preservatives since 2015 due to our ongoing reformulation process, now all our washes, shampoos, lotions and creams are even gentler without sulfates, and dyes*
- Our products have been free of known allergens, but since the list of allergens is always evolving, we pushed further, to keep all potential and emerging allergens out of our new formulas
- We simplified our approach to graphics and package design
- We added clear iconography to explain which products are best for baby at specific ages and stages
- We created softer, more comfortable easy-to-grip bottles with one-handed pumps
- Since we removed dyes* from our products, we color coded our bottles for easy reference while shopping
*excluding cologneBack to top
With the launch of our newly reformulated products, the old formulations will no longer be manufactured. However, we are confident that you will truly love your experience with our new products, and all that they have to offer.Back to top